Search This Blog

Thursday 19 May 2011

Recommended products

I use products from a wide range of suppliers for my weathering techniques.

Tamiya masking tape and Weathering Master sets are used extensively. There are several different sets with three colours in each including an applicator brush and sponge. Aimed primarily at the military modeller there is still plenty to offer the railway modeller for weathering.

The Railmatch range of enamel and acrylic paints is also really good. They offer a range of colours for liveries as well as weathering. The most common paints I use are:
  • Track Dirt
  • Roof Dirt
  • Frame Dirt
  • Sleeper Grime
  • Brake Dust
  • Black
  • Weathered Black
  • Satin Varnish
  • Gloss Varnish
Enamel paints are best for airbrush weathering and I have used acrylics for hand weathering my road vehicles. I will have to do some more experimentation with acrylics.

Tensocrom Lifecolor weathering acrylics are a new addition to my paint box. These are a very thinned down acrylic pigment, with the consistency of a wash, in a wide range of colours. Like the Tamiya range it is aimed at the military modeller but they have started to introduce products specifically for railway modellers. I have only used the Oil, Rust and Kerosene colours so far with satisfactory results.

It probably goes without saying that the Humbrol range of paints is another mainstay of my paint box. The variety and quality is well known. These are used on my buildings, figures, vehicles and other trackside items as general finishing colours as well as for weathering. Colours I have just started experimenting with are Matt 62 Leather and Metalcote Gunmetal. Matt 29 Dark Earth is another useful colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment